The Capuchin Monastery in Brixen celebrated its 400 year anniversary 2003/4. The regulations of the order stipulated home study from the very beginning. At the Provincial Chapter 1623 it was ordered that “all monasteries should have a diligent librarian”. In 1605 the order were given books from the court priest Antoni Kleßl`s collection. Similarly, the Auxiliary Bishop Simon Feuerstein`s [died 1623] and Canon Peucher`s collections were included in the monastery library. At the Provincial Chapter 1657 it was ordered that the Papal Decree forbidding the lending of books should be displayed in every library. In the final years books from abandoned Capuchin monasteries were brought to Brixen where a kind of central library was established. With books from monasteries at Eppan, Klausen and Schlanders the library encompasses 41,500 volumes. This growth required the addition of two extra rooms. The library also has approx. 120 incunabuna at its disposal. A comprehensive report on the indexing of the collection is available from Bibliogamma.
Capuchin Convent of Brixen
Reference Person: P. Kassian Ladstätter, P. Adalbert Stampfl
Tel: [+39] 0472 833025 [P. Kassian Ladstätter]
[+39] 0472 414876 – 0472 411148 [P. Adalbert Stampfl]
Fax: [+39] 0472 271131